Thoughts on Collecting Moments, Not Things


It snowed here two weeks ago, for a whole two minutes. In those two minutes I managed to throw boots and coats on both myself and my son, find my keys, run downstairs and grab a few pictures of us "in the snow". We stood in the snow for 20 seconds before it stopped and we laughed and laughed and laughed. It was a moment in time and this is what I collected from it: my sons utter delight and high pitched laughter, my wonder and awe at the beautiful world that we live in, the fact that standing in falling snow in the U.K. was a first for the two of us, that a simple moment lasts forever and a deep sense of gratitude that we didn't miss out on making that memory.

We twirled and we put some on our tongues. We hugged each other and I remembered that "this" is what it is all about.

Upon moving to England my husband and I had a lengthy discussion about the things that we wanted to achieve while we were here. We are planners (and if you are reading between the lines, we are worriers) and find a lot of security in discussions that are goal oriented. When all was said and done we realised that there was a theme running through these goals, and it was beautifully simple. We discovered that we are in the U.K. to collect moments, not things. A subconscious yearning that we were both enthusiastic about bringing into our daily lives.

While the sentiment is simple, I have discovered that it takes a bit of effort. By this I mean it takes effort to be present, effort to be ready to capture a moment and just run with it, effort to turn down the "noise" in life and not miss the moments when they become evident. It takes effort to not get so caught up in all of the "stuff" and for me personally, it takes effort to let things go and to just stop.

That being said I want to declare this: it is possible. You can train yourself to do these things until one day- it just is what you are and it all comes naturally.

I'm still on this journey, but I've got to say that for the first time in what feels like forever, I'm enjoying the process. My name,"Kelly" means "warrior" and I feel like I've been making a conscious effort to return to that girl who was blessed with that name. She was the girl who existed before she let fear and self doubt take up way to much residence in her head space. She has taught me a lot of things and she has given me all kinds of strengths that I am grateful for. She's helped me address the fears I needed to. I'm on a crusade for this new kind of thinking. A crusade to find that warrior within, she's in there, and she is confident and passionate about the things and the people that she loves and protects. It's the inner fight that no one sees- but the battle is worth it. Because when all is said and done, life is simpler, happier and more constructive when focused on "collecting moments, not things." This is my truth, I'm endeavouring to honour it.




No comments:

Post a Comment