Sweet Potato and Pea Fritters



When I was a little girl, my grandma would make me a little dish called "mock fish". She would whip them up for me and we would eat them underneath her fig tree in the back yard and play memory with her worn out card deck. I couldn't get enough of those things. Little did I know that they were actually potato fritters, made with a whole lot of love. When I found this recipe I was excited to try it- and what can I say? The little girl in me loved them. 

Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups butter milk
sea salt and cracked black pepper
2 cups thawed frozen peas
2 cups grated sweet potato
1/3 cup chopped mint leaves
1/2 cup chopped basil leaves

Method:
Place the flour, eggs and buttermilk in a bowl and stir them to combine. Add the peas, sweet potato, mint and basil and mix to combine. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and brush the pan with olive oil. 

Cook 1/4 cup of the mixture, in batches. About 2-3 minutes on each side. Brush the pan with olive oil in between batches. Your fritters should be golden brown. I experimented a bit with the cooking of my fritters and have come to the conclusion that the best ones turned out when I spread the mixture thinly, I also discovered that if I waited until the top of the fritter had formed about a half a centimetre edge before flipping it over they would turn out perfectly. The cooking process takes a little bit of trial and error but it's certainly worth your time. Oh, and I need to mention, these little morsels are 100% toddler approved. Phew!

Original recipe from Donna Hay 

No comments:

Post a Comment