Southampton

Alex spent the week commuting down to Southampton for work, so we thought we would take the opportunity and head down with him on the Friday to explore for the weekend.

We stayed at the Mecure Dolphin Hotel, which is where Jane Austen celebrated her 18th birthday. It's a complete given that I was totally wrapped up in the romance of it all. Staying where she once partied made me extremely happy- there may have been a high kick involved. Ok, there was a high kick, and a squeal and some very childish hand clapping; just the usual Kelly antics. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The staff were completely lovely and took us on a tour of the "closed to the public" parts of the hotel. We saw the grand ballroom and where Jane would have received her guests- all the original parts of the building. Due to the aforementioned Kelly antics, none of my pictures turned out. My iPhone couldn't handle me shaking with such excitement so everything is blurry.

These iPhone pictures did turn out- probably because I wasn't involved in some of the taking of them or I had enough time to compose myself! Gosh. I do realise that an Austen woman would never behave like this, but I just couldn't help it!

^^ making my arrival for the ball, ready to party like it's the 1800's



^^ you will have to come and see what is behind these doors yourself, I ruined all possibility of a good photo being posted here


^^ all three of us shared that bed in our cute little hotel room, but it's OK- we are parents of the co-sleeping variety.

We loved walking the streets of Southampton and seeing all the old structures that are still standing. So much history in the beautiful country- we just drink it all up! I was able to compose myself enough with my "big camera" so take these pictures of our Southampton adventure.

^^the streets of Southampton
^^we loved the old world nestled in with the new


^^this wall was built in 1224, and it is still standing, imagine the stories it could tell!

^^the footpaths had all these little gems of historical information, we loved it!

^^I've never been more excited to see blossoms in my life- bring on spring





^^we found this old chapel to be so beautiful