Little Books, Big Minds


We've reached an exciting milestone when it comes to reading. No longer are we restricted to board books. The little man is into page books, better yet- he's learnt that books are special and are to be treated as such. It's a proud moment for me. I bought this little "Nutshell Library" a few years back in San Fransisco after visiting a Maurice Sendak exhibition. My husband and I weren't pregnant at the time, but we certainly wanted to be. I remember buying these books with the intent of gifting them to our future children. Maurice Sendak is an absolute classic and I love his work. "Where the Wild Things Are" was a regular bedtime story for me. Growing up my Mum used to play a video for us of Sendak's work set to music by Carol King, I still sing those songs in my head today and now have a DVD version for my son. It's the kind of thing you don't mind hearing over and over again, the stories never get old.

It's been great to watch how much my son is grasping from the books that we read. The concepts often come out in his play and we like to act out scenes from his favourite books. I love watching his imagination grow with the new stories we share.



Here are a few of our favourite books for anyone with a toddler aged person in their house looking for some new titles:

- The Nutshell Library, Maurice Sendak
- Shh! We have a plan, Chris Haughton
- Dear Zoo, Rod Campbell
- Rudie Nudie, Emma Quay
- Possum Magic, Mem Fox
- Hairy Maclary from Donaldsons Dairy, Lynley Dodd
- How to Catch a Star, Oliver Jeffers
- Each Peach Pear Plum, Janet & Allan Ahlberg
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle
- Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes, Mem Fox & Helen Oxenbury

Have you got any favourite picture books? Tell me all about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment