5 Ways to Cultivate Happiness


Abraham Lincoln was onto something when he said "most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be".

You see, I've come to learn that happiness doesn't just happen. It's a carefully cultivated thing and it's precious. Happiness is something that has to be worked at and something that has to be protected. And if we are going to be completely honest here, I've been rather lax about keeping up with the things that bring me joy. Using phrases like "I've got to do this", or "I have a duty to do that",  and my personal favourite "I don't have time".

Rubbish.

Of course I have time. I just have to take responsibility for it.

I'm declaring a head space overhaul this week and doing things that are specifically directed at cultivating happiness.

Here is a list of 5 things that help make me happy, I thought I'd leave them here just incase anyone wants to join me on this personal quest:

1. Get ready for the day: this always makes me happy. When I get up and get ready I feel good about myself. Throwing on a little bit of makeup and getting dressed in something other than stretch pants changes my mood dramatically.

2. Be in the moment: I love that quote that goes something along the lines of "whatever you are doing be all there". I've decided to be strict with myself on this one because I need to be until this little mantra becomes a habit. Which also means I'm going to be strict with myself on the way I use technology- for me, I'm usually a whole lot better when I am "unplugged" for a significant amount of time throughout my day.

3. Move: give me all the endorphins. Yes please! Whether it's a big workout or something as small as taking a walk outside. Move that body.

4. Do things: and I don't mean cook the dinner, fold the laundry, wash the floor kind of things. I mean call your girlfriends, get out of the house, organise a play date, eat ice cream at the park with your kids kind of things. Do ALL the things.

5. Be grateful: make a list of the things you are grateful for. Maybe it's just one thing. Focus on that.

Breathe. Smile. Cultivate that happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment