The Day I Threw a Tantrum and Made Quiche


Yesterday I threw a tantrum. It was over pastry and it was silly. Full disclosure: I didn't throw just one tantrum, I threw three. Three pathetic tantrums over pastry that involved foot stomping, walking out of the room and throwing my hands up in the air. 

My husband said, "it's just a quiche." 

I said, "I know."

The rules of quiche are easy. You need short crust pastry (nobody cares if you make your own or if it comes out of the freezer- just remember that). Three eggs, about 1 cup of cream and half a cup of milk and you absolutely need 1 cup of really nice cheese, or more- whatever tickles your fancy. What you put inside is up to you. Yesterdays tantrum inducing quiche was made up of an onion, mushroom, tomato and spinach concoction. 

Then it goes like this- place your pastry in the quiche dish and throw a hissy fit over the fact that it's not doing what it is supposed to (or you can skip that step), bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes (make sure it's weighted down, rice on baking paper works a charm) then you take it out, remove the weights and cook it for another 10 minutes. What you want to do while that is going in the oven is cook up your mixture on the stove top. Let it cool. While that is cooling combine your cream, eggs and milk and whisk them together, add some salt and pepper and you are good to go. Take your pastry case out, fill it with your stove top mixture, sprinkle the cup of cheese over the top and pour your egg mixture all over the top. Then it's back into a moderate oven for 30-35 minutes. 

Then you eat. 

Get over tantrum. 

Apologise to husband.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment